Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Socorro, Oriental Mindoro

This is the hometown of my sister-in-law Aleli S. Villegas and for more than 10 years, I have always been invited to visit Socorro.

How to get there

From Manila or Cubao, board a bus going to Batangas City Pier. There are numerous bus companies plying the route such as Jam Liner, DLTB and Batangas Starex (BSC). It is better to board the bus with the signage "ACTEX" or Calabarzon going to Batangas City Pier. Fare is around P165. Travel time from Manila is 2 - 2.5 hours.

Once you reach the pier, go to Terminal 3 and choose between Super Cat, Fast Cat and Ocean Jet. The fare varies from aircon to non-aircon (P190-300). First trip going to Calapan is 6 am and last trip is 6    pm. 

Once you reach the Calapan port, board the van going to Socorro/Pinamalayan or the bus going to San Jose. Fare is P100 and travel time is 1.5 hours or 60 kilometers.

Alight in the town of Socorro. But my destination is in Fortuna or Putol and I had to board a motorcycle ride to Putol. Travel time to Putol is 20-30 minutes or 12 kilometers of uphill climb. Fare is P50/pax.

Instead of the van, I boarded the RoRo bus going to San Jose and the fare was only P80. 

And after 1.5 hours, I reached Socorro.

I went to the town's market and there I was fetched by Tatay Arse and Nanay Viring and with them is Tatay Edon. We boarded Tatay Arse's van and proceeded to Putol.

Reaching the house, my first instict was to visit the river and the hanging bridge. It was hot that day and I took a dip in the cold water.

But before taking a dip. I climbed the hanging bridge.

Afterwards, I enjoyed the cold and refreshing fresh water of the river.

I waited for the sunset and watched it unfold under the hanging bridge. Tatay Arse fetched me from the river and we took our sumptuous dinner.

Day 2

We went to Bulalacao the following day. (separate blog) and then went back to Socorro.

Arriving in Socorro, I took a nap and then we caught fish in the palaisdaan of Tatay Arse. 

We divided the loot and I was able to get 5 big tilapya. I was about to grill the fish but I decided to go back to the river.

Again, I dipped in the cold waters for about an hour and then went back to Tatay Arse's house which was a 10-minute walk.

And along the way back, I saw that they have a horse and I took a souvenir shot onboard the horse.

The following morning I went to Isla Verde leaving treasured memories of Socorro. Thank you Tatay Arse, Nanay Viring and Tatay Edon for your kindness and hospitality in Fortuna, Socorro, Oriental Mindoro.

No comments:

Post a Comment