Wednesday, April 2, 2014

City Tour in Yangon, Myanmar 2014

Reclining Buddha, Yangon, Myanmar

From Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, I took a flight to Yangon, Myanmar. I was on day 4 of my South East Asian (SEA) Tour for summer 2014. My first SEA tour happened last October 2013 and I went to Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand. I had to wait for summer before I could do this tour since I am teaching in Far Eastern University (Philippines). Anyways, from the Yangon International Airport, I boarded a taxi to MGM Hotel and paid 8,000 Kyats. Travel time was approximately 45 minutes.

While onboard the taxi, the driver offered a city tour for 45,000 Kyats. I hesitated and decided to make my decision once I arrived at the hotel. 

Thaung Tun
No. 49, Mingalar Street, San Chaung Township.Yangon, Myanmar (Burma)

Ph: 95-420071913
e-mail: thaungtunmyanmar@gmail.com


Driver/Tour Guide you should not miss! =)






Upon arriving at the hotel, I immediately asked for the city tour and I was told that the price of the tour is 45,000 Kyats per person. After learning this, I decided to call Mr. Tun and asked him to fetch me the following day at exactly 7 am.

MGM Hotel was kind enough to allow me check-in at 10:00 am even though I was supposed to check-in at 2 pm. The hotel is affordable and the room is excellent.

The following morning, Mr. Tun arrived ahead of time and we immediately started with our city tour. First stop for the day was the port area. Tour usually starts 8:00 am and ends 6:00 pm. But we started 7 am that day and finished 3:30 pm.


Pansodan Jetty 

The Pansodan Jetty is where the buffet river cruise is made. You can have your buffet river cruise for 20,000 Kyats only.

Royal River Cruise
Luxury River Cruise

Tel. +95 (9) 2500 86571, +95 (9) 7315 6296, +95 (9) 449004705, +95 (9) 3173 1540
Website: www.royalgreenriver.com
Email: salessops.mgr@royalgreenriver.com / info@royalgreenriver.com

Sunset Sightseeing Cruise (Friday)
USD : 25 per pax
Kyats : 20,00 per pax
Drink : soft or Myanmar Beer I can
Cruise time : 17:30 - 19:30

Dinner Cruise (Saturday)
USD : 30 per pax
Kyats : 25,000 per pax
Meals: BBF (buffet)
Cruise time: 17:30 - 19:30

Dinner Cruise (Sunday)
USD: 30 per pax
Kyats : 25,000 per pax
Meals : Chinese food (buffet) 
Drink : Soft or Myanmar Beer 1 can
Cruise time : 17:30 - 19:30

Second stop


Botahtaung Pagoda

Just a stone's throw away from the port is the Sacred Relic of Buddha's Hair Pagoda. Entrance fee is 3,000 Kyats. Buddhism is the number one religion in Myanmar.


Third stop


Reclining or Sleeping Buddha

One of the biggest statues of Buddha that I have seen in Myanmar is the Reclining Buddha. It took us more than 20 minutes to reach this spot due to traffic congestion. The soles of the feet of Buddha indicate the way of life of Buddhism.

Fourth stop  


World Peace Buddha

From the Reclining, we went to another Pagoda. The area of this pagoda is a lot bigger than the Reclining Pagoda.

Interior of the World Peace Buddha

Fifth stop


Stone Marbled Buddha

This is one of my favorite pagodas in Myanmar. I enjoyed the trek and I was awed by the statue of Buddha.


After seeing the Stone Marbled Buddha, we decided to take our Myanma lunch. 

Sixth stop 


Bogyoke Aung San Market

This stop was for souvenir shopping. I bought only 1 bag for my mother and a souvenir shirt and we went afterwards to the next stop.

Seventh stop 


Chinatown

The tour to any country will not be complete if you will not visit their own Chinatown. 

Last stop


Shwedagon Pagoda

Height of the hill : 190 feet above sea level
Height of the pagoda : 326 feet (about 100 meters)
Land belonging to pagoda : 114 acres (46 hectares)
Area of terrace ; 14 acres (6 hectares)

The Shwedagon or the Reliquary of the Four is the oldest pagoda in Myanmar dating back from 600 BC. It was maintained by 32 kings of the Okkalapa Dynasty.

Along the tour, you will see also the public transport in Yangon.


I enjoyed my city tour in Myanmar!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I hope you will answer my question. Do we, Filipinos, need a visa going to Myanmar? Thanks is advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, visa is not required. Member of the ASEAN countries are exempted from visa requirements.

      Delete
  2. Truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information.
    Yangon city tour

    ReplyDelete
  3. thaungtunmyanmar@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete