Sunday, December 9, 2012

Biliran: Paradise Undiscovered

Day 3 of my Region VIII Tour last October 2012

Originally, I did not plan to go to Biliran. I wanted to stay more either in Leyte or Western Samar. I just came from Ormoc City, and went to Lake Danao. 

In my summer trip in Mindanao, I noticed that the main mode of transportation by land is by using a bus. As an alternative, they use the "habal-habal" or the "Skylab."

In Region VIII, instead of using buses, they use vans (not jeepney). And so for the next eight days of my travel, I got used to using vans as a mode of my transportation in Region VIII. From a handful of different companies, I preferred using the "Van-Van" transport. 

After hours of traveling from Ormoc City, I arrived past 4pm at Naval (capital of Biliran). 

I was not able to take my lunch in Ormoc and instinct dictated I had to take my late lunch first.
  




After taking my sumptuous lunch, I looked for my accommodation. There were three choices.


Unfortunately, I recalled only two - 

TJ Lodge






El Roman Pensionne



I chose El Roman. TJ Lodge has a curfew. Both of them offer internet connection. 

I paid P600 for a day's stay.

Contact nos. - 0921-574-9080; 0917-310-7476





After placing my belongings inside the lodge, I went to church in Biliran.

In my years of travel, I never failed to visit the church of the place I am going. I am always asking for Divine Intervention to guide me safely in my travel.

I pray for two things - my safety and health!



While walking in the outskirts of the city, I noticed the mode of transportation is pedicab (in Manila they call it "Padyak")

Clean air in Biliran!









After roaming around the city for an hour, I decided to go back to the lodge. I hired a habaI-habal tour for my one day escapade of Biliran. After hours of watching movies, I doze-off.  The following morning , my itinerary was all set. And the first in the itinerary were the three falls in Biliran.

habal-habal



Although my ride arrived late for twenty minutes, I managed to control my anger and anxiety and started to enjoy the ride. I paid P600.00 for the tour that day (our agreement was only P500.00). 







This is the jump-off point. The trek to Ulan-Ulan Falls is twenty minutes. 











Along the way, I noticed the thick vegetation and numerous banana and coconut trees planted.

No illegal logging here!







After ten minutes of walking, we passed by a signboard. It reminded me that I had to walk for another 15 minutes.









The road was slippery. But I still managed to reach the "Ulan-Ulan Falls."

I knew then why it was called "Ulan-Ulan" because literally, it was raining when you are beside the falls due to the tremendous downpour of the waters from the top!












That's the reason why it is called "Ulan-Ulan Falls!"













After taking some pictures, we further ascended and went to the next falls. We trekked for another 10 minutes.


Good thing there is a pathway on the top of Ulan-Ulan Falls.






Ever wonder what the top of the falls looks like? Here is the top view of the falls.











We reached the next falls - Recoletos Falls.

It was really so slippery that day. Good thing I did not lose my balance. But my guide told me that we cannot afford to go to Sampawan Falls. And I nodded at her insight. 


We went back to the jump-off point. 











Pretty unusual, my guide that day was a girl! I paid my guide P200.00.












We proceeded to the next destination. I love traveling using the motorcycle. I love bicycles and motorcycles. I feel safer using them.









After 20 minutes, we reached the next spot - Agta Beach



Aside from Agta Beach, there is another white beach resort in Biliran - Candol Beach. Proximity was the reason why I decided to choose to go to Agta Beach.  







It was low tide when we arrived at the spot. The water was so shallow.


From afar, one can see the Higatangan Island and Dalutan Island. No island hopping that day! I had to leave Biliran before 12 pm. How I wish I could go island hopping!

After one hour in Agta Beach, I decided to go back to the lodge. I checked out and went to the nearest van station and boarded a van en route to Tacloban.







There are so many tourist spots in Biliran. Unfortunately, I had only one day to explore Biliran. I left Biliran that day with a promise that I will be back next year (summer 2013). Here are the rest of places I want to explore in Biliran this summer 2013:
1. Higatangan Island
2. Dalutan Island
3. Capinahan Island
4. Tinago Water falls
5. Tomalistis Falls
6. Kasabangan Falls
7. Busai Falls
8. Candol Beach
9. Mainit Hot Spring

It's fun in Biliran! =)

Related links -
Adventure

Beach

Others –















1 comment:

  1. You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post; I will try to get the hang of it. Explore more travel destinations for seniors .

    ReplyDelete