Saturday, March 2, 2013

Passing in Kalinga

from Wikepedia
Kalinga is a landlocked province in the northernmost section of the Cordillera Region. It is bounded by the provinces of Cagayan and Apayao in the north, Mt. Province in the south, and Abra in the West. The greater sections of Cagayan and Isabela are found on its eastern part (from NSCB Cordillera Administrative Region).

The name Kalinga is derived from the Ibanag and Gaddang "Kalinga" which means "headhunters." In the past, headhunting was considered noble and it symbolizes bravery. 

Nowadays, headhunting is no longer allowed and here I am craving to go the headhunting province.

From Manila, I took a flight to Tuguegarao via Cebu Pacific. I opted travel by air since the travel by land is 9-10 hours.

The flight from Manila to Tuguegarao, Cagayan was only 45 minutes. 

I was able to avail of a promo flight from Cebu Pac and paid only P1,080.



From the airport, I boarded a tricycle and went to the terminal of the van ride to Tabuk, Kalinga. I paid P40.00 for the tricycle ride.

The first trip starts from 6:00 am and ends around 4-5 pm.

I paid P85.00 for the ride to Tabuk. Travel time was 1 hour and half hours. 

From a guy who has traveled in Benguet, Mountain Province and Ifugao, I was surprised to see that Kalinga has many barren and desolate lands compared to the three provinces that I mentioned whose scenery is just breathtaking.

The primary reason why I decided to go to this province is to experience white river rafting at Chico River.


from Chico River Quest, Inc.

I've experienced river rafting in Davao, Cagayan De Oro and Quirino. And only Chico River, remains to be explored.

But I was given only one day to do this adventure and I was told that the adventure starts early in the morning and I arrived in Tabuk past 1 pm.

So much for my plan to do white river rafting at Chico River.   See http://www.chicoriverquest.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chico-River-Quest-Inc/260120161109

And so I ended up going only to the St. William Cathedral Church, the Provincial Hall of Kalinga and the nearby park. 












I stayed only in Tabuk for two hours before I decided to go back to Tuguegarao. From Tuguegarao, the plan was to go to Abra.

Beforehand, I also planned to go to Kabugao, Apayao. But I was told that there was only one trip scheduled early in the morning to Kabugao and the travel time is more or less 3 hours using a van. And so there goes my plan to Kabugao. I planned to go to Kabugao and then crossed it going to Abra. 
Well, I was not able to do river rafting at Chico River neither go to Kabugao. But still the experience of going to Tabuk, Kalinga is one treasure I would cherish.

Around 3 pm, I went back to Tuguegarao.

I paid P85.00 again for the van ride. And went back to Tuguegarao with a smile. I told myself, " I will return.. I will do river rafting at Chico River."



2 comments:

  1. You'll never regret sir if you'll do rafting in chico river. I've experienced it when I was in fourth year high school. -Immay Gacuya fr. Tabuk and your student in Law in BusOrg :)

    ReplyDelete